Thursday, December 1, 2011

Friends

I have a quote of my refrigerator that reads, "Friends are God's way of taking care of us."  I believe I received this years ago in Relief Society.  However, it has never meant more to me than it does this year.
Sidenote:  sometimes as I start writing I feel I repeat myself a lot....this will happen (consider this fair warning)
This is just a quick example of how God knows what we need each day and does take care of us. 
I think as I go through each day I handle myself okay.  I don't cry every SINGLE day, but I do cry a lot.  I love crying.  It makes me feel better.  I actually try to make myself cry more because of how I feel afterwards.  It is a good release.  As I started today, I was reading my Christmas letter that I am going to try to get out to as many people as I can.  Then, I'll probably post it for those I don't have an address for (feel free to email me your address).  So, as I was reading this letter I was in tears for about an hour.  It didn't take me an hour to read, but it did remind me of how Ethan was with us just last year.  I included him in our letter this year because he was with us the first few months of the year.  It's been a tough decision whether or not to do a Christmas letter (I know, ridiculous).  But, I decided I usually try to do one and I wanted to make sure I continued with that tradition.  The thought of not having Ethan with us during this Christmastime is unthinkable.  Its hard to keep imagining he isn't gone for only two years (since we like to call it "his mission').  It hurts daily seeing his stocking hanging and knowing it won't be filled (we may fill it with small gifts "from" Ethan).  It hurts to see his picture.  I can't explain the hurt; its just deep.
I know there is a loving Heavenly Father when my friends always seem to call and check on me in my worst moments.  I love my friends (I include my family as friends here as well)!
This morning a friend text me to see if I was okay.  I was sad and was honest about it.  She asked what she could do and I just asked if she would mind if I stopped by.  I just needed a listening ear.  Soo many peopl have done this for me.  I think back to when my sister-in-law lost her two girls.  I had an obvious feeling to call her and check on her.  Not knowing her too well, I passed this job on to my husband and let him know I felt very strongly HE needed to call her :)  He didn't.  But, she called him that night and let him know it had been one of her worst days so far and she knew Heavenly Father was sending his angels (friends and family) to comfort her that day with all the phone calls.  I kicked myself for years for not just calling.  I feel now like my sister-in-law then.  I live with inspired people all around and love it.
I also love thinking back to a comment another friend made to me.  "Let's concentrate on the things we CAN control."  I actually do this and repeat this to myself almost daily.  I may not be able to control my emotions, but I can control if my bathroom is clean.
Thank you.  Thank you for being my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment