Saturday, October 19, 2013

My Ace Hardware Experience


How Cute is This Ace Hardware Shopper?



Leave it to me to do something at the last minute.  Actually, I tell people I am their last minute girl!  I don't like to worry about things ahead of time, but somehow if I do it at the last minute it works for me.  I think my husband has trained me too well. 

 This particular Saturday, Madilyn had a soccer game at 11:00.  If anyone knows anything about Arizona heat at 11 and sitting at a soccer game, you really try to have an umbrella.  Over the years of sports, I have been through a few beach umbrellas I use for these sporting events, and I had not purchased one this year. In heading out that day I needed something quicker than Target or Wal-Mart because I was supposed to be at the game in 15 minutes.  I sent Marcus ahead with the kids and stopped at the local Ace Hardware.

The workers quickly helped me locate the beach umbrellas.  FYI for those not from here--you can find pool and beach umbrellas in almost any store!  I ran up to the register and the card wouldn't work!  I had my husband's debit card and had slid it in my pocket, so that is all I had.  I tried it a few times.  It just said "account not working."  I tried to call Marcus because I did not want to leave without the umbrella.  It really was hot that day!  Marcus didn't answer.  I realized then when Marcus and I had switched cards the day before, he had given me the temporary debit card he had.  Well, it was now deactivated.  I stood at the counter and just said to the guy, "Can you give it me on credit?"  Really?  I knew he couldn't but I was desperate not to sit in the heat for the hour.  This man at the register saw my desperation and asked when the game was over.  I told him noon.  He took out his own debit card and bought the umbrella for me!  I had no idea how to react.  I was actually feeling a little dumb at this point for making such a big deal.  However, the deed was done and he told me he would see me at noon.

I couldn't believe this Ace Hardware man would trust I would come back with his $16!  I knew I would, but he didn't know my from Adam. 

We enjoyed the soccer game that day under an umbrella.  Thanks to the Ace Hardware guy!  I took a $20 (in retrospect, I should've given more) and a thank you card to this man.  I did tell him that he had done an errand for my angel, Ethan, that day.  That is how I felt.  

When we took the card into this man (for the life of me I can't remember his name--terrible, I know!), we didn't see him right away.  We shopped the store--I felt the store deserved it after saving me.  While shopping, I had to snap the picture above because that kid can just be so cute.  I love the little shopping cars they have.  They also gave the kids little toys and free popcorn (I guess that is normal, not just for us).  As we were leaving, the debit card man came up to me and told me he owed me change.  I told him he didn't but that he had made my day!  He looked at me with tears in his eyes and said, "No, you made mine."  To this day, I don't know how I made his day.  But, it was a very good experience that day, one which I will never forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment